Friday, September 30, 2011

September Send-off: Berry Lovely.

A challenge was recently issued.  The task? To re-create a look done by Ronnie over at Bows and Curtseys.

Being a new Madd Model, I find that challenges like these are perfect for creating tutorials.  They allow me to put my own aesthetic spin on things, while really testing out the product that I represent for the purpose of teaching and of course, in a way, selling.

Cranberry shadows are my favorite, and always have been.  It's only recently that I've been brave enough to attempt pulling them off, and I've found that like most hurdles, once you jump in, it's pretty cakey from there on.


As always, we're going to start out with our tools.  Now, you may have noticed that I don't always use every brush I start out with, or that I occasionally add in a brush I didn't originally picture.  You have to bear with me - organization is not my forte.


Top to bottom, left to right pigments (Since the rest is pretty self explanatory,): Mudd Slinger, Dark Crystal Ruby, Up in Smoke medium gray, Young Blood, UiS dark gray, Birf'day Suit, UiS black.



Prime those peepers.  I'm in the middle of a wicked allergy attack, so my entire face is puffier than normal.  makes getting primer even in all those crevices quiiite interesting.



Primed and puffy!


Line away!  DO THIS NAO.  You don't want to muddy or smudge your top lid later.  A light line is fine, you're really only using it as a guide.



"Happy little trees..."  Only, you know, different.



Now, neither Ruby or Young Blood were berry enough for me, so I mixed them 1:1 to get the sultry shade I was aiming for.


Inner halves get the berry coloring.  Again, it's a unique experience to try and saturate an area with <x,y,z> when it's puffed to twice it's size and wrinkled from the swelling.  If you're going to be like me, just resign yourself to popping a benadryl and blinking a lot to make sure you've gotten your color even.



Now the medium gray goes on.

Just a thin stripe of it needed, for blending into...


The dark gray.


See that nice color gradient?  OCD Jalackie is happy.


Now polka dot your black on.  I use dots, some people do dashes, some outline and blend in... whatever your preference, always remember THE UTMOST IMPORTANT THING WHEN WORKING WITH BLACK:  It's always better to build than to wipe.


Moar black.


Using the fluffy brush above, I blended the black well, taking care to maintain the gradient look while still getting a very defined black color on the eyelid.  Then I used my liquid black liner and lined my top lid.



Birf'day Suit to highlight on the orbital bone!


Mudd Slinger for my brows, and Physician's PlentiFULL mascara in brown black (because I wasn't thinking. Though, the brown black didn't turn out too bad with this look.)


Ta Daaa!!!!


Oops, lash clump.  We'll consider this photo the blooper reel.



With glasses!


Peekaboo!

All in all, I'd say it was a success, doubly so considering it happened without any blood in my caffeine sys... err, wait.  Anyway.  It happened early in the morning. =P

This is definitely a clear candidate for the "intermediate" category, simply for the use of a true black in general.  Black pigment, loose or pressed, is intimidating.  Not only do you risk looking like you've stepped out of the Thriller video, you also risk turning everything around you black, from the toddler to the mini-fridge.

That said, step up and TRY IT.  You'll never graduate to intermediate if you're a novice if you never try. <3

As always, my darlings, Stay Madd!

No comments:

Post a Comment